Ensures the proper day-to-day operations of internal & external connectivity as well as systems security. Performs installations, repairs, upgrades, backups, and other maintenance tasks for all LAN/WAN network equipment. Problem Solving, LAN Knowledge, Proxy Servers, Networking Knowledge, Network Design and Implementation, Network Troubleshooting, Network Hardware Configuration & Network Performance Tuning are also expected. Performs analysis/work using independent judgment. Works on assignments that are complex in nature where judgment is required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Senior Engineers will be expected to show leadership and mentor other less-experienced engineers. The Sr. Engineer will be technically proficient in their area and will act as a point of reference for the team on technical issues.
The goal is to ensure the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance for their users, such as staff, clients, customers and suppliers. Networks can include:
The following duty statements are illustrative of essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required.
1. Install computer networks such as LAN, WAN, VLAN, WLAN, VOIP, the Internet, intranets, and other data communications systems, documenting networks, and enforcing network standards.
2. Maximizes network performance by monitoring performance; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; collaborating with system architects on network optimization.
3. Secures network system by establishing and enforcing policies; defining and monitoring access.
4. Set up user accounts & passwords.
5. Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
6. Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related tasks as needed.
7. Reporting network operational status by gathering, prioritizing information; managing projects.
8. Help Desk Provides technical support by responding to inquiries from internal and external customers via telephone, email and/or on-site. Assesses the nature of the problems and resolves routine to moderate support issues. Troubleshoots network failures and identifies network problems.
9. Cisco Maintenance Performs the configuration, installation, maintenance and upgrade of Cisco networking products.
10. Palo Alto Maintenance Performs the configuration, installation, maintenance and upgrade of Palo Alto networking products.
11. Systems Security Monitors, evaluates, and maintains systems and procedures to safeguard all corporate assets. Assists in researching, recommending, and implementing changes to enhance overall systems security. Also includes primary support of Sophos (AV) issues and possibly Windows updates.
12. After hours on call rotation.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written for audiences from all levels within the organization, both business and technical.
- Active and attentive listening skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrates functional skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Organizational and multi-tasking abilities.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
Training, Education, Certifications, and Work Experience
- College degree require and a minimum of 5 years of functional experience, Cisco certifications preferred.
- Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office, LAN/WAN/WLAN/VOIP, Cisco, Palo Alto and antivirus products.
- Ability to comprehend technical instructions and correspondence.